Winnie is turning into a real talker. Here are some of the things she says a lot:
Mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy. (Brief pause.) Mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy.
I used to think she actually wanted something specific when she did this, but it seems like sometimes she just wants to rattle away and she enjoys the fact that I periodically say “What?” or “Winnie, Winnie, Winnie, Winnie,” in response.
Yay!! I did it!
She will say this about anything and everything, including finishing her juice, finding her pacifier, you name it.
Mommy, open it!
Usually said in reference to things I do not want to open for her, like bottles of lotion or Thor’s piggy bank.
Again! Again!
Said in reference to songs, stories, and things she enjoys, like being tickled and tossed around.
What doing? and Where going?
She is incessantly asking us these questions.
Are we there yet?
And this one – she learned it from Thor.
Mommy, where are you?
She learned this one recently, and it cracks me up to hear her wandering the house calling for me.
I see it! See it?? See it??
Usually shouted in the car; occasionally I can figure out what she is talking about (horses, planes) or she will specify what she sees. Usually not.
Not yet! and Hang on!
Classic stall tactics.
She also has a very extensive repertoire of requests/commands, including --
Milk
Bubbles
Tubby
Slide
Swing
Sesame Street (sort of garbled, but intelligible)
Dragons (in reference to How to Train Your Dragon)
Elmo
Sheep (in reference to Shaun the Sheep)
Nunny (my mom’s word for ‘pacifier’)
Blanket
Naked (she loves to run around naked right before bed)
Cheese
Cream cheese
Crackers
Toast
Applesauce
Cheerios – to name just a few.
She can identify tons of animals by name – too many to list, really. She can sort of count to 10. She will get lost here and there, but with prodding gets back on track. She attempts to sing the ABC song, although most of the letters are either haphazard or unintelligible. She always seems to get “W” right for some reason. The other night Thor and I were singing “Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam” and Winnie suddenly chimed in “at home, at school, at play” clear as day.
Basically, she talks SO much more than Thor at the same age (whose conversational abilities at 19 months were limited to “Dad”, “Woof! Woof!” and “What’s that?!”) that it baffles me. It’s good, though; it really reduces my frustration level because usually she can communicate what she wants. Thor understands her even better than we do. The two of them are able to have some actual conversations now. It’s great. I’ll try to get some video up of her talking.
1 comment:
I could be making this up, but I think I read or heard something about younger siblings talking more, basically because they have language models that are close to their age. (???) The idea made sense before I typed it. Anyway, I love reading your kids' comments, so thank you for sharing! :-)
Post a Comment