Loading...

Friday, January 14, 2011

Little Man

Lately Thor really enjoys being sung to at bedtime. He usually joins in with great gusto, which is a new development. He’s previously shown no interest in singing, so I’m glad he’s finally getting into it. Anyway, one of the songs I like to sing to him is one that my Grandpa Black sang to us growing up and which I’ve never heard elsewhere. Since the lyrics are a little hard to come by, I thought I’d document them here. The way my memory is, I might not remember them down the road.
 
Oh, there was a little man
Where a little river ran
And he had a little farm and little dairy-o
And he had a little plow
And a little dappled cow
Which he often called his pretty little fairy-o
 
Now the little maiden Nan
With her pretty milking can
Went a-milking when the morning sun was beaming-o
And she fell, I know not how
And she stumbled o’er the plow
And the cow was much astonished at her screaming-o
 
Little maid cried out in vain
As her milk ran o’er the plain
Little pig ran grunting after it so gaily-o
And the little dog behind
For his share was much inclined
And he pulled that squealing piggy by the tail-y-o
 
Now to make a story short
Little pony with a snort
Lifted up his little hoof so very clever-o
And the little man fell down
And he nearly broke his crown
And this only made the matter worse than ever-o
 
I always thought this song ended kind of abruptly, what with spilled milk everywhere and the farmer suffering from a head injury. Where’s the resolution? But that’s the way the song was sung to me, so I have to live with the uncertainty.
 
 

No comments: