Today we went in for the third ultrasound of this pregnancy; this one was primarily to check on the position of the placenta, since I had a low-lying placenta on the 20 week ultrasound. All is well as far as that goes, and I assumed they wouldn’t spend much time, if any, looking at the baby’s anatomy since everything had appeared totally normal at the 20 week visit.
However, I did naively assume they would at least take a few measurements in order to get an idea of the baby’s size and confirm she was developmentally on track, but the tech didn’t even do that. We saw a blurry second or so of the baby in profile and a glimpse of the spinal column as the tech whizzed by to the placenta. She also briefly looked at the heart, which has four chambers and was still beating (a foregone conclusion since the baby was pummeling me throughout the ultrasound) but she took no measurements. I’d say the whole ultrasound, start to finish, took 2 or 3 minutes, including the time spent electronically labeling the images of the placenta. I was mildly annoyed because I know they will charge my insurance company over $200, which works out to roughly $100/minute for the procedure.
Jared was REALLY annoyed, bordering on angry. If I were in the same situation again, I think I would ask her to please take some measurements. Surely they can spare the additional 3 or 4 minutes it would have taken. Would that be overly demanding?
No comments:
Post a Comment