Loading...

Friday, May 15, 2009

Garden envy

Pork Chop did a great job getting our garden all set up this year. He's tilled, installed a rather impressive irrigation system, and we've even planted a few things with the remainder of the rows marked off to finish the rest of the planting this week.

However, we've also got a lot of other stuff going on right now, and with the weather warming up around here, quite a few weeds are starting to crop up in the unplanted sections of the garden. I keep looking out the window and thinking that I HAVE to find time to get out there somehow and do some weeding. This morning I was munching on some breakfast and having these thoughts and I noticed my neighbor out working in her immaculate garden.

There's nothing unusual about that. In fact, I'd say about half the time I look out the window, she's out there - it's no accident that her garden is immaculate. I realized, though, that I don't like to go out there and work in our plot when she's outside because I feel insecure, as though she is judging us for our weeds. I guess I would prefer to deal with the problem under cover of darkness or something. I actually have no reason to believe that she is bothered in the least by the state of my garden, but I can't shake this thought process. I'm sure it has more to do with my own overboard sense of competitiveness.

But I had to remind myself this morning that I work full time, have a raft of household chores, am in the process of helping Pork Chop with some a bunch of indoor projects, and am trying to wrangle a one year old and gestate another kid. Something clearly will have to give from time to time, and if that's weeds for the next couple of weeks, so be it!! I hate having to talk myself down like this.

1 comment:

Noelle said...

Well, you truly are a busy woman, Sarah! I'd say that anyone who's already taken 6 months to gestate a child has earned a break from bending over in the garden picking weeds for hours and hours. It could be fun to watch Thor have at it, though!