Recently, some people about a block away painted their house bright orange. This is somewhere between pumpkin and neon orange, mind you -- nothing remotely subtle or tasteful about it. I've been feeling mildly irritated every time I drove by. Then this week, they hung -- and illuminated -- a ton of Christmas lights, as if they hadn't drawn enough attention to their poor taste already. I am really annoyed by these people, and I don't even know who they are. I think I'll take a plate of Christmas cookies over in a few weeks, just to get a sense of what is going on there.
Recently we were at Costco and finished off our trip, as usual, with pizza for Jared and a churro for me. We had a number of other errands to run and I told Jared I was going to dash to the restroom while he ran the receipt-checking gauntlet and that I would meet him at the car. Since he was wrangling the baby and the cart, he asked me to take his drink with me to the bathroom. I told him I thought this was weird. He insisted. I gave in. Does anyone else find it mildly repulsive to take food of any sort into a public restroom?
Speaking of restrooms, last week I stepped away from my desk to make a phone call and then went into the restroom. I set my phone on top of the jumbo-sized TP dispenser. As I was washing my hands, a fellow employee came in, went into a stall, and came back out with my phone. "Is this yours?" I said it was and thanked her; it had totally escaped my notice. She went back into the stall and promptly flushed the toilet.
I suddenly had this fear that I had forgotten to flush. Now, let me state for the record that I consider myself a vigilant toilet flusher. I don't really think I've ever forgotten to flush, and typically stick around long enough to make sure no follow-up flush is needed (low-flow toilets are a joke). But now I have this odd concern that I might be drifting through life in a daze and leaving behind the occasional unflushed toilet. I am oddly concerned and mildly self-conscious about this heretofore unconsidered possibility.
Sunday, November 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Funny because I was thinking she already used the facilites and handed you your phone with unwashed hands. Either way, an upsetting situation. The loosing it is normal. You're old now like me. I learned last weekend I can't go to midnight movies, just too weak and tired.
Post a Comment