I really have something against what I think of as LDS pop culture. This includes Mormon movies (not movies that mention Mormons, but movies made by and for Mormons), Mormon pop music, and so forth. If you're not LDS, let's just say that it's a lot like popular Christian media, only maybe even cheesier. I consider myself a devout member of the church, but I think exposure to other quality media helps make us well-rounded.
Anyway, I pretty much refuse to read Mormon fiction. It holds absolutely no appeal for me. At his current employment, Jared has access to misprints of certain locally published materials, including quite a bit of stuff geared at the LDS market. He recently brought home a sampling of fiction for me to read, whether out of real interest or just to see whether my prejudice is well-founded. I now have a selection of books ranging from a Mormon crime drama to a novel about an abused Mormon wife who flees to Europe. I'm gearing up to launch in, and getting prepared to do a lot of cringing.
Who knows? Maybe some of this stuff will be OK. I'm not counting on it, but I could be won over... maybe. I'll keep you posted.
Friday, August 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Please don't be won over :( I think if you were it might shake my faith.
You might be suprised. I don't know what Jared brought home but there is some good stuff out there. I spent 5 years in a LDS bookstore where I did alot of reading. Have fun.
I'm right there with you. I try and avoid trendy literature, and Mormon literature at all costs. I will admit that I broke down and read Harry Potter, and those books are pretty great, despite the fact that they're definitely trendy literature. .
Post a Comment