Loading...

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Photo Schmoto

It recently came to my attention that my illustrious employer expects me to join a local professional organization. Since they pay my dues, I figured what the heck, and went ahead and dutifully submitted my application. Part of the application process was to submit a photo for inclusion in the group's directory, but I selected an option that allowed me to skip over that section. I think my illustriuos employer has a semi-professional photo of me somewhere, but it's not on my computer and if I'm being honest, I'm not all that concerned with my inclusion in or exclusion from this directory.

Shortly after submitting my application, I received an email notifying me that it couldn't be processed until I uploaded the photo. This missive went on to state that the group leaders meet monthly to formalize acceptance of all new applicants and that I needed to get the photo in soon in order to make the next month's deadline.

For some reason this really rubs me the wrong way. As it happens, I don't have any major problems with the way I look (other than being pale and starting to look wrinkly and aged). But it seems weird to me that this photo directory is mandatory. What if I were morbidly obese? Hideously scarred? Botoxed beyond all recognition? There is an implication here that people are choosing their professional service providers based on looks, and I, for one, resent that.

OK, so maybe it's not so much resentment as it is sheer laziness on my part. I really don't want to bother with this photo nonsense. Do you think a self-portrait from my cell phone camera would do?

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I triple dog dare you to try it. See if they have the guts to come back and tell you your photo is "unacceptable."