Today as I was perusing lostpedia at the office, I realized I really need to take a step back and assess the impact TV is having on my life. I used to be a reader and even, I would venture to say, a bit of a doer; now I'm turning into something of a watcher.
I blame this turn of events entirely on Jared. Never have I met a person whose mood can be so dramatically affected by the realization that The Office is a rerun instead of a new episode. We watched Super Size Me again the other day, and I was wondering aloud what Morgan Spurlock is up to these days. Jared mentioned that Mr. Spurlock and his wife had been doing their own show and said he would love to watch it, but he doesn't "have time". I must have given him a withering look, because he hastily revised this statement, admitting that he doesn't "have room on the Tivo".
Jared is a dedicated follower of a ton of shows, and I am joining right in with him and adding a few of my own (I doubt he would have taken up American Idol or Dancing with the Stars on his own.) The Tivo is a huge factor. It simply isn't possible for me to reliably follow a show in real time, but when I can have access to it any time, including the wee hours of the morning, watch out! I will become a rabid devotee.
So I need to cut back, but I don't want to go cold turkey. I might not have to, either. Some of my shows are winding down, and summer will be a natural time to take a TV break. Farewell, Battlestar Galactica. Farewell, Raines (did you get cancelled?). Farewell, Lost. See you on the other side!
Thursday, May 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment