Loading...

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

I never would have guessed

Yesterday Pork Chop called me from a local music store to see if there was anything I wanted him to pick up for me. He's quite thoughtful that way; unfortunately, I usually like to look through sheet music and even play through a few things before spending any money, so I told him not to worry about it. However, I must have been subliminally affected by some of the between-sessions General Conference advertising, because suddenly I remembered I had been wanting to buy this recent MoTab item.

Pork Chop obligingly purchased it for me. I have not yet listened to it, as he also took it upon himself to do a pre-listen on my behalf and it's still (I assume) in his truck, from whence it may never emerge in this lifetime. However, last night as I was reclined on the air mattress watching Dancing with the Stars, Pork Chop mentioned something curious. You may have noticed this yourself if you followed the link and have an eye for detail, but apparently there is a song on the MoTab CD from an R-rated movie. Pork Chop was absolutely floored by this.

Of course, I have to raise an obvious question here: is this a tacit endorsement of content we have been told to avoid? I did make the argument that an explicit movie could have a good soundtrack, and there's no sense throwing out the baby with the bathwater, but Pork Chop countered that it's the association that troubles him. And if he's troubled, others undoubtedly will be. What do you guys think? Can I pop in the DVD guilt-free now? After all, some Church employee somewhere must have watched the movie to become aware of this soundtrack and its context.

No comments: