Loading...

Monday, April 2, 2007

Weekend roundup

We had a pretty relaxing weekend; I made a decision not to work, so that was nice. We just lounged around until conference started, then lounged around in front of the TV for conference. I have this new setup where I drag an air mattress into the living room for TV watching. When not in use, it is tipped on edge and stored in our bedroom. So that was pretty nice. We didn't even venture out between sessions. As I recall, we did a few dishes, I ironed some curtains, but primarily I lay on the couch and watched the special on the church humanitarian services program. So I guess at some point I at least migrated from the air mattress to the couch.

Saturday afternoon we also decided that we were going to be too lazy to get up early and drive down to Orem for breakfast with my parents, especially with the downtown traffic, so we called and made arrangements to spend the night down there. I took Pork Chop down for priesthood session with the boys. We got to the house about ten minutes before the session was scheduled to start. Everybody was nonchalantly watching basketball, except for my dad, who was still working in the lab, and Ethan and Devon, who were still showering. Miraculously, they did make it out the door around six, so they were probably only five or ten minutes late.

Michelle, Mom and I went to Olive Garden with the kids. Johnny raced around the lobby for the entire 45 minute wait, narrowly dodging being knocked over or stepped on several times. I felt a little out of place since everyone at the restaurant seemed all spiffed up. I had managed to get up from the couch in time to put my hair in pigtails and change into a clean shirt, which I subsequently noticed was bleach-stained. Oh, well.

At home after dinner, I decided to take Dan out for a stroll. I convinced Pork Chop to come with me, since I had an irrational fear that Dan would somehow break away from me and I would be powerless to retrieve him. Paige and Johnny begged and begged to come along with us, and John finally decided to accompany us to see how Johnny would do on the dog walk. It was pretty funny. Jared held the far end of the leash, and Johnny was holding the leash part way down. Dan waits for no man, so he broke into a trot as soon as we got out of the yard.

Of course, his legs are all of four or five inches long, so the rest of us could keep up just fine at a brisk walk, but Johnny had to break into a full-on run to keep pace, still grasping the leash. He was quite exhilirated by the whole thing. In fact, some of the neighbors laughed as we went by. We were quite a sight -- five of us out walking a little dog, with Johnny at a full run, shrieking and squealing in delight. He only face planted one time, and didn't even cry, because he was so busy getting up so the walk/chase could resume.

After the kids had left, Pork Chop and I took Devon, Andrew, and Neal to Night at the Museum at the dollar theater. I enjoyed it much more than I had anticipated. It has its cliched moments, but overall I was amused. Plus, we got a tub of popcorn and picked up Sconecutter shakes on the way home, so it was a successful outing overall.

By comparison, Sunday was entirely uneventful. I got up and took Dan for an early morning walk (I am really getting into this dog walking thing; it's weird). Then we had breakfast, watched conference, and basically sat around working puzzles until it was time to go home. I'm afraid we weren't all that entertaining, but it has been a long time since we just completely checked out to that extent on a weekend, and it was great.

No comments: