Jared has a new job starting next week and we are going to take a trip to the East Coast this summer. I guess he's serious about this one; he's already run it by his new employer and everything. So I've been doing a little bit of planning. I was thinking we would spend a couple of days in New York and then two or three days in D.C., but Jared wants to spend closer to a week in D.C., which is fine with me. Thanks to my illustrious employer, I do have quite a bit of vacation to take.
Accommodations are a bit of a concern. My illustrious employer will be paying for at least one night in New York, at a $500/night establishment, but I'm not about to foot that kind of bill on my own. I've been looking into these European-style shared bathroom type arrangements that charge in the $150/night range for an additional night or two. Anyone ever tried one of these in the U.S.? The online pictures look OK, and I have dealt with some pretty crazy bathroom situations in my Latin American travels, but I could justify those on the basis that I was paying anywhere from $6 - 20 USD/night.
I also am concerned that I won't be able to ditch the laptop. Maybe I will tell everyone I am going on a cruise. Cruising seems to be the only thing these days that will actually allow you to completely disconnect from work, and it is no coincidence that the partners in our office take annual 2 to 4 week cruises. Short of a very remote backwoods adventure, it might be my best alibi. Is D.C. backwoodsy? Is it a point of departure for any cruises? With a little Photoshopping, I could produce evidence of my week away from phone lines and modems.
Thursday, March 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You know where I stand on this. I think in your gut you do as well, so leave dedication alone and embrace freedom. You won't know what you life will be like in the future & besides when have you ever know work to stop still? It will survive without you. The real question is ... will you?
Post a Comment