Carrie mentioned the ad run by a single gentleman asking for a woman to come over and clean for him. I actually thought it was pretty amusing. I think that's partly because I agreed with the guy's premise, which is that because a lot of girls have the expectation that a muscly guy will come over and help them do heavy lifting, it's not at all out of line for a man to express a similarly stereotypical expectation.
In all honesty, most women could figure out a way to move their own stuff, if necessary. There are obvious exceptions for people with certain medical conditions, but those exceptions could occur with an individual of either gender. Having a lot of furniture does not, in my opinion, constitute such an exception. Even really unwieldly or heavy items can be moved by a couple of girls using the right dollies or other rented equipment. I, for one, have been able to move pianos, refrigerators, and couches without male assistance. Did I enjoy it? No. Would I rather not do it again? Sure. And if push comes to shove, I know I can always dig deep into my wallet and pay a mover. On those grounds, it does seem a little bit demanding to expect that a man will come to my rescue just for my convenience.
By the same token, men are perfectly capable of cleaning. A lot of them come poorly equipped for it, though, both in terms of experience and actual supplies. Could they learn to scrub toilets? Sure. Could they purchase rubber gloves and scrub brushes? Sure. They'd probably rather not, and for many of them it would pose an inconvenience, but most of them are physically capable of doing their own cleaning. On the other hand, if a plea to a female for assistance in this area will work just as well, why bother? And frankly, wiping down a few counters or scrubbing a bathtub is a lot less time consuming and labor intensive than moving a house full of furniture, so why not ask a woman to chip in a bit?
I'm not all that offended by it, partly because I have a vision of the type of gal who would be (no, not you, Fuller), and I think she's a bit of a humorless whiner, and quite likely has some personal possession somewhere that reads "Daddy's Princess". If you don't want to clean, don't respond to the request; guys who don't want to help you move are entitled to do the same.
Friday, March 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment