Loading...

Thursday, February 1, 2007

Good fortune

You know it's bad when I don't even have time to blog. Last night I cut out around 6:00 so Pork Chop and I could go grab some dinner. I was mildly annoyed at dinner because the Italian restaurant we went to had a note on the menu saying, "whole wheat and gluten-free pasta available upon request" but when I asked for whole wheat in my seafood penne, it turns out they don't offer whole wheat penne, only whole wheat spaghetti. Frankly, that strikes me as pretty weird considering that I can get whole wheat penne at Wal-Mart, not to mention every single grocery store I've recently frequented.

I'm sure that what it boils down to is that they don't want to cook up more whole wheat pasta than they'll use, so they just keep one type on hand. Still, it was a disappointment. I am turning into a pasta snob, I guess; there was a time when I would have argued that pasta is pasta is pasta, regardless of the form it takes. These days, I have a decided, inexplicable preference for penne, rigatoni, and farfalle.

Our server was quite chatty. Before the night was out, we knew how long she and her husband had owned their last house, where they are building next, and their current living situation. We also found out where her parents live and the square footage and price of their house. Amusingly, she told us that we are lucky to be able to find someone to watch the kids in the middle of the week so we can go out. Yes, lucky us.

No comments: