Loading...

Thursday, February 8, 2007

Eating with the stars



Last night, courtesy of my illustrious employer, Pork Chop and I went to an event sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce in honor of a very prominent local businessman. These things typically start with an hour-long reception, which means standing around with a bunch of wine bibbers (or in this case, sparkling apple juice bibbers) and making aimless small talk until you actually get seated for dinner. We tried to time our arrival to miss most of the mingling session, but the traffic was abnormally cooperative and we arrived quite early.

We amused ourselves by taking some blurry cell phone pictures mostly unobserved. Don't we look like we're having the time of our lives?

I had one of those wow-I-really-am-an-idiot moments while we were there. We were wandering around, trying to act all mingly and professional, and a man and his wife brushed by who looked extremely familiar. I spent a few seconds trying to dredge up some information about him from the recesses of my memory, but just couldn't place this guy. I might have eventually figured it out (well, probably not) except that Pork Chop suddenly observed, "Hey, did you see Elder Eyring just now?" Duh. In my defense, he just looked so much smaller and thinner and less imposing close up. We also spotted Elder Wirthlin on our way into the dining room (I did recognize him right away) and Pork Chop gave him a companionable pat on the back.

So we spent last night in pretty good company. Good food, good times, crappy pictures.

No comments: