Loading...

Monday, February 5, 2007

Busy, busy

On Saturday the temperature climbed into the forties, the sun came out, and Jared and I went to the zoo. It was good timing; most of the animals were out and about enjoying the warm-ish weather. Jared was surprised to see that the bears weren't hibernating, but my guess is that if they get fed every day and can retreat inside to a warm, indoor enclosure whenever they want, they don't see any need to pack on the fat and hunker down for winter. I had also forgotten that you can go right inside the giraffe building and even climb up to the second story to get an aerial view of them.

One of my favorite parts was when we stopped to peek into the glass window of a bat cave just as they were bringing in food for the bats. The bats started going crazy and I was standing there, captivated. Suddenly I realized that up in the far corner of the cave was a group of over a hundred tiny bats all huddled together. We made several attempts to get a picture, but with the low lighting and the amount of movement, all you could really make out was a blurry, amorphous mass. Pretty fun. I'll have to grab the pictures off Jared's camera and post them here soon.

On the way back, we stopped at This Is the Place monument. I can't remember ever visiting it before. It was pretty interesting, but the wind was starting to pick up and after a few minutes we decided it was time to get home to the kids. I was glad we got out during the few hours of great weather, though. It almost made me think I'll survive this winter, after all.

No comments: