Loading...

Monday, January 29, 2007

Whereabouts unknown

I worked all day on Saturday and on the way home I decided to treat myself to a stop at Barnes & Noble to get a couple of books I'd been wanting. I bought Remains of the Day and launched into it over the weekend. I was well into it on Sunday and really starting to be engrossed in the travails of the 1950s butler, when I inexplicably lost the book.

We went to both my parents' house and my grandma's house on Sunday, but I know I retrieved it from my parents' and I have a hard time imagining I took it into my grandma's. In fact, I am 99% sure I didn't. That leaves only Old Gray to blame. Either she swallowed the book whole or I stuck it under my seat and managed to kick it out the door at one of my stops.

In any case, it's pretty much driving me nuts during the 30 seconds or so a day that I have to think about it. I'm going to console myself by launching into one of the other books and hoping that Remains of the Day eventually crops up. A lot of the inside-flap reviews used terms like "haunting sadness" and "comedic tragedy" to describe the plot, so I'm not sure this was the right time of year for me to be reading it anyway. Maybe it will make an appearance in the spring when I'm better equipped to deal with its "poignant melancholy".

No comments: