Poor Winnie-baby has a tendency toward “irregularity”. At times it has gotten bad enough to require some intervention on our part. There is never a convenient time for this, exactly – especially for her, poor thing – but this weekend was especially bad timing. Things got pretty rough shortly before we were supposed to be hosting an Easter gathering of 20+ members of my family. Our usual measures had failed and Winnie was feeling pretty miserable. Due to impending inclement weather, compounded by the Winnie situation, we hastily relocated to my parents’ house. Thank goodness they were willing to have everyone over on such short notice.
As dinner was getting underway, Jared was on the phone with the pediatrician’s after-hours nurse to make sure we were doing all the right things. As everyone else was enjoying a leisurely Easter feast (well, except John who was home with a sick kiddo of his own), Jared was rushing off to Walgreen’s for supplies. As dessert was being served up, he was dealing with the Winnie situation. It was a pretty miserable few hours for Winnie but with a little extra help, things did eventually sort themselves out.
Meanwhile, thanks to my distraction, Thor managed to overeat and then rough-house with his cousin Coen to the point of throwing up all over my mom’s family room couch, where the unfortunate Coen promptly sat in the mess (that’s how the whole scene was relayed to me, anyway). I hastily wiped Thor down with a towel and herded him across the street for a bath. As we were leaving, he was asking for more Easter candy. As if. What a day. I guess you could say that the cherry on top was my discovery of some fresh puppy droppings in the office when I ventured in there after the kids were in bed.
I am sorry to say that given the way things went yesterday I did not fully enjoy the company of my siblings and nieces and nephews, nor fully appreciate the many delicious food offerings, nor spend the time I should have in reflecting about the meaning of Easter, the resurrection, and so forth. Hopefully future Easter Sundays will be less eventful.
1 comment:
Sarah, Winnie didn't have an issue in the indubitably adorable dress you spent all that time making, I hope. It just seems to be the way of it with little ones. I've decided that I'm going to stop making holiday feasts until the boys are about ready to leave home. It's Hungry Man until then, so they'll miss the good stuff when they're gone!
Post a Comment