We’re getting off to a bit of a slow start on our Christmas celebrations this year. At least, it feels that way to me. I listened to Christmas music for the first time yesterday – normally I get it going the week of Thanksgiving. We haven’t hung any outdoor lights yet, and our Christmas tree has lights but no ornaments yet. We’ve tried to take a few minutes here and there to talk to Thor about the meaning of Christmas, since this is the first year we’ve really been able to converse with him about that (or anything, for that matter).
We’ve explained that Christmas is Jesus’ birthday. We bought a small, inexpensive nativity set at Wal Mart and looked at each piece and talked about who it was. We still need to work on putting the whole narrative in context – i.e., who exactly are these wise men, and why did they show up with gifts? We’re taking it a little at a time. The nativity had to be repaired when an angel’s hand was broken off and a wise man’s head snapped off during vigorous play on the part of Winnie. Now it is in the category of “look, don’t touch” at least for the next couple of years. The kids really enjoy looking at Baby Jesus and talking about him.
I’ve tried not to dwell on the commercial nature of Christmas and there are no gifts under the tree yet, so although we aren’t going too crazy this year, I think the gifts they do get will come as a pleasant surprise to both kids. In order to get a bit more into the holiday spirit, I have planned a few things for this weekend (while Jared is, unfortunately, out of town). We’re going to go to Festival of the Trees and look at all the elaborately decorated Christmas trees. Tomorrow I will take the piggies to Christmas Around the World at the Marriott Center. They love dancing (judging by their reaction to Dancing With the Stars) so I’m really looking forward to that outing. I did a little bit of Christmas baking last night, but I hope to do some more and start taking a few treats around to friends and neighbors.
We haven’t started an advent calendar of any sort and so I plan to pick up an inexpensive one somewhere this weekend (chocolate? flaps or doors?) and catch up on that. Failing that, maybe we will do a craft at home with a paper chain or something. In any event, this week hasn’t allowed me time to get those things done, so our Christmas celebrations officially start tonight. I’m looking forward to it.
1 comment:
We don't have anything up yet at all. That's my big goal for the weekend! And as for presents, I always wondered if my future spouse would be down with celebrating Dia de los reyes and do presents then. Now that I've got one, I should ask. :-)
Post a Comment