Loading...

Friday, September 17, 2010

happy to be heading home

Winnie and I have had a pretty decent, fairly uneventful trip to NYC. Since she refuses to nap at the day care, after work I’ve been taking her straight to the hotel (either picking up take-out along the way or ordering room service there), feeding her dinner, and putting her to bed. Then I’ve spent the evening mainly reading before going to sleep myself. Last night I thought we could afford to stay out a bit later and I planning on either hitting up H&M or just strolling around and doing some sight-seeing.
 
Then a crazy thunderstorm hit (delaying one of my co-worker’s flight to SLC by four hours and resulting in a nine-hour commute home for another co-worker) and we ended up making a mad dash in the rain and getting back to the hotel damp but intact. The rain continued throughout the evening so it was yet another night in. Oh, well.
 
This morning I had the Herculean task of getting all of our luggage, plus Winnie, on foot from our hotel to the office (about a mile walk + ferry). I managed this through very careful packing and the use of the Ergo, but in the end I was still carrying over 50 pounds of stuff and was sweating profusely when we got to the office. I also realized en route that we had left both the umbrella stroller (not a big loss) and the last of our pacifiers (more of a concern) at the hotel.  There was no way I had the time or the energy to go back for them.
 
The stroller cost $15, is easily replaceable and with the Ergo I won’t even need it in the airport, but I couldn’t imagine taking the flight home without a pacifier. As it turns out, there is a very well-equipped drugstore less than a block from the office where I was able to buy a couple of pacifiers that I think Winnie will take.
 
I have to say, the logistics of business travel with a toddler are a bit overwhelming. I hope it was worth it for Winnie, because I am beat, and we still have another 2,000 miles to go. We’re certainly looking forward to seeing Jared and Piggy.