Loading...

Thursday, July 16, 2009

I am panicking

We are supposed to be bringing home a new baby in a month or so. I had been experiencing some minor trepidation about this, but the past week or so that is starting to change into full-blown panic.

Jared is going to be having surgery this weekend. It's only moderately invasive -- nose, throat, tonsils, adenoids, etc -- but the recovery is guaranteed to be painful and could be prolonged. Also, my 18-month-old Piggy has suddenly decided to stop sleeping through the night. Three times in the past week I've had to put him in our bed at some point so I could get a little bit more sleep (emphasis on the word "little"). I guess I was figuring that the disrupted sleep wouldn't start for a few more weeks, but between Jared and Thor I suspect this is the beginning of the end.

Add to this the fact that we are in a major crunch period at work and that I'm gone about 14-15 hours a day, and I have switched to strictly survival mode: I go to work, come home from work, snuggle briefly with the Piggy, maybe have a small snack and pick up a few things around the house, and go to bed. Rinse, repeat. Hopefully this weekend I will have time and energy to do a few things around here like clean out the fridge, go grocery shopping, and perhaps even get a few baby things organized. I still need to buy that package of newborn diapers, after all!

Jared's mom is coming in a couple of days to spend some time with him after his surgery, which will be a huge help. He will need someone to keep him company, bring him popsicles, and help keep him propped up and medicated while I am at work, and we are all looking forward to seeing her. One way or another, we'll get through.

No comments: