I've written in the past about the variety of misdirected emails I receive due to the incredibly common nature of my maiden name. I used to get these emails only occasionally, but lately the traffic has picked up considerably. Here's a round-up of things I've gotten lately:
1) Regular messages and updates from a campus sorority. Ironically, it's the LDS sorority of a local university; that means there's another Sarah xyz right here in my own backyard, and she is missing out on all kinds of opportunities, including the chance to man the guest book at a sorority sister's wedding.
2) Repeated emails indicating that my debit card was declined for my monthly Indiana Small Business Network dues.
3) A bunch of emails from people volunteering to bring dishes for the preschool teacher's potluck I am organizing.
4) A proposal, including pricing, for a personalized website and business cards. This one was interesting because it had one of the Other Sarah's phone numbers in it, so now I know that one of the Sarahs lives in Quebec (and, presumably, one lives in Indiana).
5) A rambling missive from someone who works/worked at Pfizer talking about how time is flying by and she can hardly believe she only has FOUR MONTHS of maternity leave left.
6) Another rambling missive from someone about to celebrate her birthday, who wants to know if I will help her organize a birthday dinner at her house and also wants me to know that she should have been a better sister to me and she will try harder in the future.
I have been blowing these emails off because I am lazy and I figure these things eventually sort themselves out, but lately I am starting to feel guilty about some of the more personal emails. I mean, someone out there thinks her sister got a heart-felt email from her and is probably wondering right now why the birthday dinner plans don't seem to be progressing. On the other hand, how embarrassing to think that a stranger is reading your deeply personal communiques. Should I start doing something about all of this?
Thursday, June 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I think you need to respond to the personal ones. Something very brief and to the point. Do you want a continued rift between sisters on your head?
John and I get these type of emails too. John more so then I. He has responded to some of them and let them know that they have the wrong guy but he still gets them a lot. John got one once for someone that had signed up for an adult magazine and gave him this guys username and password to visit the site that was pretty funny. I get them for some Michelle living in the UK all the time. Once I got a notice that her property tax had not been paid. You would think that eventually when this person does not respond that they would maybe think that they are not getting the messages. You wonder if they only communicate by email. Was the rift between sisters because she wasn't responding to her emails?
I unknowingly emailed my friend's sister for probably 6 months (both of their names started with "J") and she would answer me (not knowing who I was) just for sport. Good times. Oh wait, it was really pretty lame.
Post a Comment