Loading...

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sucka!...........punch!!!

The Bub and I usually spend our afternoons of "leisure" rummaging through cupboards and boxes. We walk some laps around the house and enjoy the wash and spin cycles of our front loading appliances. It would be nice to have time to study in the afternoons, but I have a thing for Thor and find it difficult to let him play by himself. It could be guilt, I just don't want him to think he is an inconvenience.

I find myself parenting a child which eerily looks like my dad and behaves as I did. I understand his curiosity, stubbornness, and appetite. Which leads me to the other day. I am sure that Thor understands the word, "No". When it come to the television power button, I am also sure he selectively chooses not to understand me.

Once again Buster was making his way over to the television so I walked over to his side and said, "No" Once again, "No." This time shaking my head I said, "Thor, not a good idea." Thor looks at me with his big brown eyes, careful to keep absolute eye contact, so as to keep me from seeing one of his big, beefy mittens reaching for the button. I could not believe what I was seeing, this kid is crafty. Secretly, I was laughing in a proud sort of way. Outwardly, this was insubordination and unfortunately I saw it. It is a terrible dichotomy to be a father and to have to instill in your child respect for authority, and at the same time secretly admire his moxie.

I reached across his line of sight so that he could see me flick his hand with my finger. Poor little fellow, he would have me think. What with his huge crocodile tears, and predictable collapse to his padded rump. I told him I was sorry and said next time I say no, I mean it. (just like my Dad might) creepy. He crawls over all teary eyed and gets up on his feet, one hand on the coffee table, and approaches me with an arm out like he needed some affection. I'm all for affection, snuggles, hugs, and smooches.

"Awe come here big fella, I'm sorry I had to do that." He stumbles my way, careful to keep eye contact to maximize my guilt and his sadness. Just as I was leaning in to give him some smooches, BLAMMO!!! a Haymaker from the right. The kid decides to stand away from the table for the first real time, just to get in there with that puny sausage of a fist! I sat there for a few seconds digesting what had happened. Sucker punched by my own son! The same technique from earlier, keep him starring at you in the eyes and he'll never see it coming.

When I say, "It was GO time!!" he went....straight to bed.

This kid's a fighter, innately he's got some moves. The more part of me was proud, and a few hours later, the lesser part was hurt.

I love Thor, and already he's becoming a little man.

SUCKA, OUT!!!

1 comment:

Annie said...

THis little story totally cracked me up. Thor.....you guys are in for it!