Loading...

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Oh, no.

It just happened again. This time it was the UPS driver.

UPS guy: Hm. You look familiar.

Me: I do? (This is where it gets awkward. He not only doesn't look remotely familiar, but I have no idea what to say next. Um, my maiden name is ____? Well, I went to ___ U? Anyway, I'm sure I get a deer-in-the-headlights look.)

UPS guy: Yeah, I'm pretty sure I know you from somewhere. Actually, I think I just remembered.

Me: Oh. (feeling really stupid now. Still don't recognize him, and he has already placed me. Story of my life.)

UPS guy: When were you in the MTC?

Me: Um, 1996.

UPS guy: Yeah, I'm Elder ____, and you're Hermana _____. We were in the same branch. (Or was it the same district? Possibly. How embarrassing.)

Me: Oh, sure. You're absolutely right. (I do remember the name, but would never in AN ENTIRE LIFETIME have been able to dredge it up unprompted or match it up to this guy. And he looks like the type who really hasn't aged much, so I'm sure it's my problem.)

Honestly, I am getting really sick of these kinds of encounters. Not sick of re-meeting people, precisely, but sick of my complete and utter inability to recognize people from my past. It's so awkward and embarrassing and I don't think there's anything I can do about it, is there? I'm open to any and all suggestions at this point.

No comments: