Loading...

Monday, June 9, 2008

Here we go again

Over the weekend Jared got sick with some kind of stomach bug. I was starting to feel that Thor and I had dodged the bullet when I got a concerned call from Jared today telling me that the baby was emptying the contents of his stomach left and right. I decided to wrap things up a bit early and rush to his aid.

I had realized at lunch that I had inadvertently left my wallet at home, so I was reminding myself to drive with extra caution; it would be just my luck to get pulled over without my license on me. All was well until about fifty-five minutes into my hour-long commute and just after I had exited the freeway. A guy from California, confused by the one-way streets and hotel entries downtown, failed to see me in his blind spot and plowed right into me while attempting a left turn across three lanes.

Fantastic. Actually, it could have been fantastic. I would have liked to see Old Gray get totaled out once and for all. I am dubious about our chances of selling her what with the run-up in premium gas prices, and even when we do we will be nicely in the red on the transaction. Unfortunately, this gentleman was only going about 25 miles an hour on impact, so the damage was enough to be hugely inconvenient, but nothing worse.

We got out and exchanged what little information I had, and Jared had to pack up our ailing baby and rush over from the house with my driver's license. Unfortunately, we could not for the life of us locate an insurance card for Old Gray (although, no worries, she is definitely insured -- at least, it is showing up on my bill every month). The other driver was in a rental car so we had to get a police report. I'm sure the policeman was a little baffled by me, what with all my random bits of documentation-- Utah registration in my maiden name, California driver's license in my married name, no insurance card to be found -- and our white trash baby clothed only in a diaper since he had vomited on several outfits already.

Predictably, I received a citation for failure to produce my insurance information. I had a policy number, but no proof of insurance, so that will be another trip to the courthouse to clear up later this week. Thor and I are now snuggling at home and he seems to be doing OK. I'm sorry to say that Old Gray is almost certainly reparable. Oh, well.

3 comments:

Annie said...

You are OK right? Crazy day Sarah - sorry. Give Big T a hug from H.

Kristen said...

Oh sure...blame the guy from California. ;-)

Cara said...

I remember you were saying you parked the car at the bottom of hills this winter hoping it would get hit! Luch would be when it does get hit, it's not enough.