Loading...

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A real Riot

Last week we were at the grocery store. (As an aside, there was an armed robbery and carjacking in the same shopping complex as our grocery store a couple of weeks ago. One of the stores that was hit up is a Subway where we picked up a sandwich on the way to the zoo a few days earlier. I feel like this should be disconcerting, but I still shop there without any real qualms.)

While we were checking out, the self checkout attendant was smiling at Thor, who was all grins. As we got ready to leave, this guy asked us what the baby's name was. When he heard it, he said, "Oh, one of those unusual names. That's great. I have a nephew named Riot."

Maybe this is just me, but I don't believe Thor and Riot are in the same league as far as, shall we say, "uniqueness" or "made-up-ness". (And chances are they use an inventive spelling like Ryatt or Ri'it. Nonetheless, everyone will always hear that child's name as Riot.) Maybe Riot has some ethnic origins of which I'm unaware; if so, I stand humbly corrected.

I can understand that people might not like the name Thor. We've gotten that impression from time to time, and we've dealt with it, and our child will probably have to deal with it on occasion, too. Still, if that's the worst thing he experiences in life, he'll be a pretty lucky little guy. My humble opinion is that Thor can't be any worse, and in my book is at least marginally better than, a random noun for a name, especially one with violent connotations.

2 comments:

Cara said...

I know how you feel when it comes to names. I still wonder about the name Aspen. Now that she is older and goes out to play we have already ran into one problem, nicknames. Her friends names are Natalie and Annity, they go around calling themselves Nat and Ann well one day the girls decided that Aspen's name was to long too and she needed a nickname well... you can put together what they were calling her. :D

Sarah said...

That's pretty funny. I guess you put a stop to that.