It's a cruel and savage world we live in. As I've followed coverage of the recent catastrophe in Myanmar and the inhumane response -- or lack thereof -- of the pseudo-government there, I've felt truly depressed about the state of the world we live in. What kind of people can sit back and allow hundreds of thousands to die to protect their own selfish interests?
I also can't help but compare this situation to natural disasters in our own country, where government and private agencies rush to respond, and are still loudly and repeatedly criticized for the insufficiency of their efforts. What a strange and petty sense of entitlement we have. Even at this moment, real life-threatening scenarios are unfolding in this world, and many of us are worried about gas prices and stimulus payments.
The phrase that keeps repeating itself in my mind is "men's hearts shall fail them." I've never given a lot of thought to what that means, but now I think I have an inkling. I think it means that particular brand of despair that can overcome you when you see evil at work on such a large scale and lose sight of the hand of God in this world. It's all too easy to do.
Friday, May 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You know I share a very similar point of view. I have been reading about the true dispair in Myanmar and it breaks my heart to know that they will deny our aid. Here at home their are people who abuse the system to a point where the genuine needy are punished.
Post a Comment