Loading...

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Sore thumb

Tonight Jared and I went to the adult session of our stake conference. Our stake is, to put it mildly, unique. Probably 75% of the adults are retirement age. There is only one ward in the stake with a primary and youth program. Our ward has a nursery class of two or three children and the rest of the ward are adults.

This leads to many interesting dynamics, but the one that I am most aware of at the moment is the degree to which a baby sticks out in this setting. Thor is pretty small to leave with a babysitter, so we took him along to the meeting tonight. He only fussed once, and briefly, but in the dead silence around us, it sounded deafening and I personally felt quite awkward. Everyone turned to look, not necessarily in a judgmental way, but you still get a "who in the world brought a baby?" vibe. Of course the fussing is noticeable in our ward meetings, but at least there the people in the immediate vicinity know us and more often than not give us indulgent looks and smiles.

I guess I will have to develop thicker skin, because Thor isn't going anywhere.

No comments: