Loading...

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Antelope Island

I've been getting serious cabin fever lately, and it's hard to find things to do around here that meet all the criteria of: 1) being mildly entertaining 2) being baby friendly 3) involving limited exposure to the cold and 4) not costing anything. Let's just say I've read a lot of library books and a lot of blogs, and have even found routine matters like paying bills and planning meals unusually riveting.

Today we decided we would take some kind of a family outing. We considered and discarded a few different ideas, including a puppet festival at the library and a model railroad exhibit in Ogden. We ultimately decided to cruise on out to Antelope Island and check it out. I can't recall ever having been there, and wanted to scope out the possibilities for a potential day trip oR campout this summer.

When we left there was a little bit of light rain falling; by the time we got there a substantial amount of snow was coming down and visibility was pretty much nil. In fact, it would have been difficult to ascertain that we were on an island. In that way the trip was a disappointment, but we did get a glimpse of some of what the island is famous for. In the first picture, you may be able to vaguely discern some antelope through the blizzard.

Of course, the real attraction on the island is the bison, which were also gracious enough to make an appearance. I couldn't believe how big they were -- seriously, they were way bigger than I imagined.






No comments: