Loading...

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Fate

I woke up this morning with this awful feeling that I didn't want to go to work. OK, so there's nothing unusual about that as of late, but today it was worse than usual. Also, Pork Chop had decided to take his new/used car (more on that later) out for a lengthy drive to burn up the stale fuel in the tank since it had been sitting for a couple of years before he bought it.


He left pretty early and I was lagging a bit; as fate would have it, I was backing out of our parking spot behind the complex and had a little bit of trouble working my way around another car, so I had to do this awkward multi-point turn. I inadvertently drove straight into this:



I'm not sure how obvious it is in these pictures, but this is a pothole that was covered with a layer of ice and was almost axle-deep. Once I was in, there was no getting out, especially because the car is rear-wheel drive and the rear wheels were on a two-inch sheet of ice.

I called Jared, who had just crossed the Utah-Idaho border, and told him I was stuck in our own parking lot. At his suggestion, I tried hot water and rock salt around the rear tires, but to no avail. The hole was just too deep. I shed a few little tears of self-pity as I lugged around the rock salt and hot water pot.

Pork Chop finally got home and rigged up some old cable and after some initial failed efforts, was able to tow me out with the Pup. So all's well that ends well, I suppose. I just need to remember to avoid that spot at all costs in the future.

No comments: