Last night Jared and I went to a small birthday gathering for my friend Anne. It was really fun and it was nice to get out; it also made me realize that I have no social life anymore. With the exception of time that we spend with family, and some occasional church or work functions, we really don't go out with people or pay a lot of social calls these days. Part of it is our crazy schedules -- it seems that one or the other of us is usually working late, and our work schedules are both unpredictable for the most part.
We also haven't found ourselves in a situation to make many close friends since moving here. I work primarily with men, the majority of whom are married with several children, and I don't know any of their wives. Jared goes to school with people who are mostly young and single, and works with a bunch of guys with whom he has very little in common. At church, the vast majority of couples are significantly older or younger than us, either newlyweds still in school, or older couples with grown children.
It looks as though I need to work a bit more on cultivating my social network, or come this winter when I am home with the Little Pork Chop, I might start going crazy. We are busy enough right now that we don't really feel a big void in this department, but as we both take on child care as a bigger role and have less adult interaction as a result, a chance for fun and conversation now and then would be welcome.
Friday, September 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment