Jared mentioned to me the other day that he had been discussing our sleeping arrangements with his coworkers. I was a little concerned, particularly as he elaborated. You see, Jared and I operate on radically different thermostats. He is forever hot and I, of course, am forever cold. So he continually turns down the heater or turns up the cooler in order to get comfortable at night. I, on the other hand, absolutely cannot sleep if I am too cold. I will literally toss and turn and wake at small intervals all night.
I have tried a few different things to remedy this problem. I have gone to bed in woolly pajamas, a hoodie, and socks. I have heaped extra blankets on my side of the bed. None of this has worked. The temperatures that Jared likes are pretty much sub-Arctic, so even my warmest pajamas weren't cutting it. He wrestles around in his sleep and ends up hopelessly bunching any and all blankets and/or sheets on the bed, so I never am able to keep my extra blankets to myself. I have even suggested a twin bed type arrangement, which Jared has unequivocally refused.
This past winter, I did finally hit upon a solution. I started bringing a sleeping bag to bed. That's right -- I have a cold weather sleeping bag which I wrestled out and put on my side. When I'm getting truly drowsy, I zip myself into it, and voila; a good night's sleep, even if I can see my breath in the air. It has the additional bonus of freeing me from having to deal with Jared's wadded-up blanket mess. Now, this might not work for everyone, but we love it. My only concern of late is that the sleeping bag will become overly confining as Little Pork Chop's arrival gets closer.
So the other day, one of Jared's coworkers was talking about how he and his wife can't agree on how high to run their air conditioner at night, and Jared piped up and mentioned out solution, and the fact that I now sleep in a sleeping bag. Apparently, this was received with no small amount of consternation by his coworkers (who would have guessed?) He shrugged it off as no big deal, but let's face it -- now they think we are freaks.
Tuesday, July 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment