Last week Pork Chop got a speeding ticket. This came right on the heels of a parking ticket and I was forced to write "fees and fines" into our monthly budget as a potentially recurring line item. Nice.
This morning I had a big meeting. It's probably not overstating the case to say it was the biggest meeting of my career, and without question it was the biggest meeting of this year. I made sure to have my suit dry cleaned earlier this week and made copious preparations over the past few days for my part of our presentation. I met the partner on this account in the office and then we left to carpool to the client site about 45 minutes away. I volunteered to drive since he is usually gracious enough to drive me.
Big mistake. A few blocks from the office, right before the freeway on ramp, I ran right into a speed trap. I've never had a speeding ticket in my life, and it was absolutely surreal that this should happen today. Once the cop had written me up (thankfully, he didn't cite me for failure to update my registration or insurance, since in a burst of candor I admitted that I had recently moved to Utah), the partner had to ask permission to go around to the trunk and get his cell phone out so we could call one of our colleagues and have him inform the client that we would be late because we had just been pulled over. The policeman hovered over him the whole time, I guess to make sure he wasn't planning to exact some sort of revenge.
When we finally made it to the meeting, everyone knew what had happened. I must say, I think I handled the whole thing quite professionally, and it will cost me only $90, bringing our total fine and fees this month to a mere $250. Not bad, not bad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment