We've officially entered the sleep-deprivation stage of infancy. Rocky is an OK sleeper (none of the kids have been great). He sleeps 2-3 hours at a stretch at night. It's slightly annoying that he seems to sleep much better during the day, sometimes having to be awakened for feedings. It looks like I will need to start going to bed pretty early in order to maintain a semblance of sanity.
Rocky is packing on the weight. He not only regained his birth weight, but put on an additional 10 oz. in his first two weeks, so if we keep up this pace, he should end up with some nice rolls.
Now, to the topic of tandem nursing. That's the term for nursing two kids of different ages. Winnie basically refused to be weaned throughout my pregnancy. I suppose I could have forced the issue, but it would have involved a lot of tantrums and probably physically separating myself from her at times. Frankly, I just didn't have the energy to cope with any more drama, and I didn't particularly mind nursing her. As a working mom, it was one thing I could do for her that no one else could, so I also enjoyed that about it.
I still thought she would probably lose interest somewhere along the way, but no, here we are, and Winnie is still nursing. I did a lot of reading before the baby's birth, and all the resources I could find assured me that there would be plenty of milk supply for both a toddler and a baby. I was also a little nervous that Winnie would demand to be fed every time she saw me feed Rocky and that the logistical challenges would be to much.
Honestly, though, it's worked out fine and hasn't been a big deal so far. When I've told Winnie that I can't nurse her or that it's the baby's turn, she's never thrown a fit about it. I still nurse her several times a day and it's helped alleviate some digestive issues she was having. The baby is obviously getting plenty to eat. So we'll carry on and see when Winnie decides to be through. I imagine that sometime in the next year I will get a little more aggressive about weaning her, or it might happen naturally when I go back to work. I ddn't exactly plan to nurse a 2-year-old and I really can't imagine nursing a 3-year-old.
I know people think I'm a little nuts for doing this, but one thing I am learning about parenting is that you have to go with your instincts and there is always a possibility (a likelihood, really) that someone will disagree with your choices. So far, this is working for us and I have no regrets at this point.
Saturday, August 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow! I'm super impressed that you are nursing both Winnie and Rocky. Only nursing one is hard so I give you kudos for nursing both. Seriously, you are amazing!
It's been a while since I've been to your blog and I didn't realize you'd had baby #3 yet. COngrats!!!
Post a Comment