Loading...

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Update on the piggies

It’s been a while since I wrote about new developments with the kids. Here goes.
 
Thor:
 
*Is almost potty trained. We went a week accident-free but had a small setback today. Still, I’m almost ready to declare us there. Happy day!
 
*Is insanely talkative. Every car trip, every mealtime, and every otherwise quiet moment, including what he perceives as lulls in church meetings, is filled with chatter.
 
*Is very bossy with Winnie. I find it occasionally irritating but mostly amusing. I figure it’s a natural part of the oldest-child role, and heaven knows Winnie is strong-willed enough to hold her own. “Mom, come check Winnie!” means something is being destroyed. When Winnie bothers him he’s been known to say, “Stop it, Winnie! Go to sleep!” At the breakfast table the other day, Jared reprimanded Winnie for something and Thor chimed in with, “Winnie, do that again and you go straight to bed!!” Heaven help us.
 
*Has a disconcertingly lengthy and accurate memory. Ever since he’s become truly conversant, one of his favorite things to do is reminisce without prompting about past events, some as long as a year ago, before he was even two. I actually wonder if he remembers when Winnie arrived, although he’s never mentioned it.
 
*Is disarmingly polite. He frequently greets me with, “Mom, how’s your day been?” when I get home.
 
*Is a TV/iPod/electronics addict. We’re really going to have to keep an eye on this kid as he gets older; we’re in danger of having a serious couch potato on our hands.
 
Winnie:
 
*Is talking more and more. She shocked me a few weeks ago by shouting “Get me out!” when I came around the car to unbuckle her. She loves to shout our names over and over for no apparent reason, unfailingly says “Thank you” – actually “ank oo” – when we give her something, and recently started shouting “Feed me!” when she is hungry. Frankly, she does a lot of shouting. A LOT.
 
*Is still not weaned. I think we’re getting there, though. She now pauses multiple times during a “meal” and wants to “chat” with me. It’s weird and funny.
 
*LOVES books. Loves to look at them, and is prone to destroy them. She’s even torn up a board book or two. We have to keep a close eye on her, but most of the time she just enjoys looking at them. She often crawls up into our laps with a book. She doesn’t just want to be read to – she also likes to insert her own commentary, which is sometimes intelligible but often not.
 
*Is much more messy and adventurous than Thor. She is constantly climbing onto things and jumping off, breaking things (glass bottles, the handles on some of my pots and pans, Christmas decorations) and making messes (pouring the dog’s food onto the floor, emptying his water bowl, squirting lotion everywhere, smearing food in her hair). She is wild. Fun, but wild.
 
*Is a ridiculously picky eater. She absolutely refuses foods which she may have eaten with relish the day before. She rejects most fruits (bananas are an exception) and at least half of the vegetables I try to feed her. She will eat yogurt, but spit out any chunks she encounters. She loves bread, crackers, cheese, ice cream, olives, candy (unfortunately) and a few other random things. Feeding her a good, balanced diet is an ongoing challenge.
 

No comments: