Loading...

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Homecoming

My brother Andrew returned yesterday from two years serving as an LDS missionary in Mexico. That’s two years away from friends and family with the only contact being weekly emails and calls home on Mother’s Day and Christmas. As we were standing in the airport baggage claim waiting for him, I realized that despite the fact he is the fourth missionary in our family, it was the first time due to various circumstances that I’ve been there to welcome one home. I was a returning missionary myself (I also went to Mexico), and it’s a very strange experience. On the one hand, you are thrilled to be seeing the family that you’ve missed so much and on the other hand you are already experiencing nostalgia for a wonderful experience that you can never repeat or reclaim.
 
Anyway, Andrew had a great time in Mexico, he looks great, and we were all thrilled to see him. He’ll be living across the street from us at my parents’ house at least until he finalizes his plans to return to school. I’m really looking forward to having him around again and getting to compare notes on life as a missionary and life in Mexico.
 

No comments: