Loading...

Thursday, January 21, 2010

marriage: reality check

Me:  We’ve never really had a romantic trip. What’s your idea of a romantic get-away?
Jared:  A get-away? Like Australia?
Me:  Let’s say something in the Western US. What would you want to do?
Jared:  Well, I’ve heard there’s a sweet onion festival in Washington State. That would be fun.
Me:  Sweet onions? Are you serious?
Jared:  What? I just think it would be fun to go to a little festival and walk around and stuff.
Me:  ….
 
In fairness to Jared, I had just made the HUGE mistake of watching the latest installment of The Bachelor (ridiculous on so many levels), where your typical “date” consists of a helicopter ride and an intimate beachfront dining experience, all topped off with a private fireworks show. Somehow “sweet onion festival” jolted me back to reality, which I probably needed.
 

4 comments:

Meredith said...

I have to say I think he could have come up with something a little better. Perhaps a drive up the coast to the sweet onion festival? Then a stay at a little bed and breakfast. I refuse to believe that Jared really thinks walking around a sweet onion festival is the height of romance.

Carrie (a.k.a. Fullykins) said...

In Jared's defense...the man loves to cook - so maybe he thinks food is the way to spread some love. Come on you've got to love the idea of sweet onion relish, nothing say romance like that.

The last Unicorn said...

Hahaha... Jared would pick a trip that centered around food :)
But I don't think onions and romance mix very well.

Wendy said...

The real question is did he hear romantic get-a-way or just get-a-way?