Loading...

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Regression

Early on in this pregnancy I started to get nervous about the restless legs I had in the third trimester with Thor. It got so bad, and I was so sleep-deprived as a result, that it was my most serious concern about this pregnancy, overshadowing even my dread of morning sickness.

 

Ironically, I’ve had fairly minimal problems with the legs this time around. I still get a little twitchy here and there, but it’s been nothing compared to the last go-around. Other things have been a bit worse – back pain and acid reflux, to name a couple – but those are both somewhat manageable. In other words, I still stood some chance of getting a decent night’s sleep here and there – that is, until Thor inexplicably stopped sleeping through the night.

 

It started a month ago or so, before Jared’s surgery. I chalked the problem up to teething, or to a few nights of disrupted routine related to camping trips and late-night outings. Things were improving when last week Thor came down with flu symptoms and a fever and I ended up having to let him sleep with me for several nights in order to get any sleep at all. During the day he was miserable and clingy and that was exhausting in its own way. Fortunately he bounced back within a few days and I was looking forward to staying caught up on sleep.

 

Then the congestion set in. Thor has picked up a cold from his grandma, it seems, and once again woke up throughout the night last night, fussing and crying, and snoring and sniffling during the periods when he was asleep. Jared got up to go to him at one point, ripping off his CPAP mask in the process and breaking one of the clasps, so now the CPAP is temporarily out of commission. No one is sleeping around here, and it seemed like that wasn’t supposed to happen for another week or two…

 

Thank goodness I only have to remain coherent through another two days of work.

2 comments:

Tabitha said...

That stinks!! I never understood what you meant by the pain of RLS with your pregancy with Thor. But oh boy do I now. I've had it this pregnancy and it is so terrible. I am so sleep deprived I think when the baby comes because I'll get more solid sleep instead of this restlessness with having to go pee, heartburn and RLS. any tips on surviving it the next two weeks?
My advice for Thor Motrin :)

Jennifer said...

an old wives tale: acid relfux/heartburn when your pregnant = baby with lots of hair.

Hope she comes soon.