Loading...

Monday, July 28, 2008

Company manners

The Piggy has a bit of a multiple personality thing going on. When we take him out in public (with the notable exception of church) he is usually very well-behaved. He loves going out. He enjoys seeing new things, taking in new surroundings, and watching other babies in particular. He also gives strangers these very charming grins and seems to be trying to make friends everywhere. Aside from some crankiness at church, I really can't remember the last time he had a big fuss or meltdown in public (I know, I am probably jinxing myself here).

It doesn't sound like anything to complain about, does it? Well, it probably isn't, except that almost the moment we come back in the door, the Piggy tends to start crying and whining for one reason or another. It's as though he needs to express his displeasure at being back home with his boring old mom and dad again. Actually, I think it's probably that once the excitement of the excursion is over and he is on familiar turf once again, he remembers he would really like to eat/be changed/have a nap.

This has sort of been annoying me lately, and then I realized something. Jared is the same way. (And maybe I am, too, but that's for a different post.) That's not to say that Jared is a big whiner or tantrumer, but he is definitely different at home than when we are out in public or entertaining. When we were dating, Jared was always such a riot. It was one joke or story after another. As we got more serious, I realized that although Jared has his funny moments, he is not funny all the time; in fact, I would go so far as to say that most of the time he is not particularly funny.

He is quite an entertainer and loves to keep people laughing, but he doesn't feel a need to do so with just me. I understand that, and I'm pretty OK with it, but I have to admit that there are times when we have people over and Jared is telling stories and really on a tear and we are all having a good laugh that I pause and think, "Hm. Sure would be nice if it were like this all the time," in much the same way that I wish the Piggy were a charming little fellow at home like he is at the grocery store. Oh, well. As a trade-off I can say that I know Jared and the Piggy better than anyone, and I'm willing to take the bad (or sometimes just the mundane) with the good.

No comments: