
This family-owned Italian place is located within easy walking distance of our LBC house. When we first bought the house and were repainting the interior and later while contending with the Great Flea Infestation of '05, Meredith and I would cruise over there for the sandwich special at lunchtime. I continued to frequent the place into the Jared era, and when we're in town, Jared and I usually stop in once or twice for lunch. The peanut-butter filled chocolate cookies (probably not an old country recipe, but delectable, nonetheless) are a must-have whenever we are back for a visit to the family estate.
The owners are super friendly. They were quite tolerant of the phase I went through wherein I abandoned my purse there several times a week. It got to the point that when Jared went in to retrieve it (poor guy -- he is always having to rush in and deal with my issues) they would just rummage it out from under the counter and hand it over no questions asked. Several years later, and even though we only go in a few times a year now, they still remember Jared by name. It's pretty cool.
I can't think offhand of any place in my home town where I can stroll in and be greeted by folks that know me. Either it's not that kind of place or I'm not that kind of person, or maybe some combination of the two, but I do get that small-town local feel from our favorite deli in the LBC. It's a really nice feeling.
No comments:
Post a Comment