Loading...

Friday, January 5, 2007

Singleness -- a disease? (and is it contagious?)

There's been a lot of winter cold and flu stuff going around lately, and it's made me think about how lucky -- blessed, really -- I have been recently with regard to my health. I went through a few years where it seemed like I was forever coming down with one thing after another. At one point, I couldn't remember the last time I had gone six months without seeing the doctor. In fact, on the advice of one of the doctors I saw, I went to a few specialists to make sure I didn't have some kind of immune disorder or underlying chronic condition. Everything kept coming back normal, which was frustrating in its own way, because I was still getting sick.

Even when I broke my arm, which I didn't really consider a reflection on my overall health, I had to top the whole thing off by going and getting a raging sore throat so severe that they gave me Lidocaine to gargle with so I wouldn't dehydrate. That was a miserable time -- when I was finally able to fall asleep, I would inevitably roll over on my cast and wake up with twinges of arm pain.

This past year, I've had one or two brief and mundane illnesses, but by and large I am doing so much better. I'm not sure if with maturity I've finally gotten to the point where emotional anxiety doesn't manifest itself physically as much as before, or whether there's some other reason. I have gotten more diligent about getting a lot of sleep in the past year or so. Whatever the reasons, I'm really glad that things have calmed down. In fact, when my family alludes to all my "health issues", Jared doesn't know what to make of it. He's never really seen me with anything worse than the sniffles.

At first I thought it was a fluke, but I've been doing well for so long now, I think there's only one logical conclusion -- finding Jared has cured me. (How cheesy is that?!)

No comments: